Instructional Technology News – August 15, 2022
Welcome to the Fall 2022 Semester
The Center for Instructional Technology (CIT) welcomes you back for the Fall 2022 semester. Below are a few resources to help you and your students get prepared for classes.
The Center for Instructional Technology exists to help with your instructional technology and accessibility needs. We provide training, support, workshops, and consultations for UA’s instructional technologies which include Blackboard Learn, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, Flip (formerly Flipgrid), Gradescope, Hypothesis, Panopto, People.ua.edu websites, Respondus, Turnitin, PointSolutions responseware (formerly Turning Tech TurningPoint clickers) and Zoom.
Learn more about each of these technologies on our website. Some noteworthy items to bring to your attention:
- Instructors and students can now add personal pronouns in Blackboard Learn: https://cit.ua.edu/personal-pronouns-in-blackboard-learn/.
- Blackboard Learn course term names have changed: https://cit.ua.edu/blackboard-learn-course-term-names-changed/.
- Blackboard Instructor app support ends, download the Blackboard app – https://cit.ua.edu/blackboard-instructor-app-support-ending/.
- Instructors may now explore Blackboard Learn Ultra Course View. Learn more and apply to participate in the pilot: Blackboard Learn Ultra Course Pilot.
- Resources for Getting Started in Blackboard.
- Creating Turnitin assignments in Blackboard Learn is now under “Build Content” and no longer under “Assessments.”
- PeerMark assignments no longer automatically generate or populate Blackboard grade center columns.
- Resources about 2022 Turnitin changes.
Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) generated captions are now automatically generated and available for editing and importing for Panopto videos. Accurate captions enhance learning and ensure access for all. Be sure to review and edit captions for accuracy.
Tool name changes
- Flipgrid is now called Flip. No changes to access or use.
- Turning Tech’s Turning Point clickers and mobile response tools are now owned by Echo360 and called PointSolutions. No changes to access or use, but we are still updating tutorial resources to reflect the new name.
Please let us help!
Most classrooms across campus are supported by OIT’s Audio Visual Solutions (AVS) team. Use the classroom help phone (Dial 2) to reach the AVS help desk for immediate help with classroom technology. You can also contact AVS at 205-348-3453 or email email@example.com.
Support for Informational Technology needs
Visit oit.ua.edu for more information about IT services including email, internet, account access, and more. You can also reach us at the IT Service Desk firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-348-5555, we are here to help.
CIT uses this list to communicate essential information about instructional technology updates and resources. All members of the UA community who are currently instructors in Banner or Blackboard Learn are subscribed to the listserv. Messages are sent at the most weekly unless a service interruption or ongoing issue merits more frequent communications.