Personal Pronouns in Blackboard Learn
- July 29th, 2022
- in Announcements
UA students and instructors can now display personal pronouns in Blackboard Learn. A recent Blackboard Learn update introduced the ability for users to specify their personal pronouns in myBama and have them appear to other users in various locations in Blackboard Learn.
To display pronouns in Blackboard Learn:
- Log in to myBama with your myBama username and password.
- Students: Search for and select View/Update Personal Information (or select Update Personal Information from the Student tab). Employees: Search for and select Employee Profile then select More Personal Information.
- Choose Edit to edit the Personal Details section.
- Choose your pronoun from the Personal Pronoun drop down menu.
- Select Update.
If you have already specified a pronoun in myBama, you may need to make and save a change to your Personal Information in myBama in order to now display the pronoun in Blackboard Learn. To “push” the change to Blackboard Learn, you may change your pronoun to Not Applicable, update to apply the change, then make your actual pronoun selection and update again.
Your pronouns will appear to other users. In your courses, they will display in various locations of interactive tools, group activities, and name lists. If you do not want others to see your pronouns, select Not Applicable from the Personal Pronoun drop down menu, then select Update.
Additional information about pronoun presentation in Blackboard Learn:
- How do I display my personal pronoun in Blackboard? – CIT Knowledge Base
- Profile (Ultra Course View) – Lists locations where users can see other users’ pronouns in Ultra Base Navigation and in courses using Ultra Course View. The Profile is where UA users should go to quickly determine if they are sharing a pronoun in Blackboard Learn.
- Original Course View: If a user has pronoun or pronunciation information, it is displayed on a profile card. Selecting any avatar icon in Original Course View displays the profile card. All avatars are selectable in user lists, course tools, and grading workflows.