Instructional Technology News – September 8, 2022
- September 8th, 2022
- in Instructional Technology News
September 8 – Instructional Technology Update
Hello, colleagues! Below you’ll find instructional technology reminders, resources, and learning opportunities that we hope will help you and your students. As always, please request instructional technology help at email@example.com. For IT-related needs, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus Lockdown Browser locks down a testing environment within Blackboard Learn. Students taking exams that require Lockdown Browser will not be able to access any other browser functions or applications on the computer being used until the exam is complete.
- How do I set a password for a test that requires Respondus Lockdown Browser?
- Lockdown Browser Information for Students
- Lockdown Browser Troubleshooting for Students
- UA-specific lockdown browser software can be downloaded from the Institution page in Blackboard. Lockdown Browser does not function on Android phones, iPhones, or Chromebooks. Computers are available to reserve in UA’s libraries. For more information on which computers are equipped with Respondus LockDown Browser and webcams, visit Computer Availability in UA Libraries.
- Lockdown Browser is not currently compatible with certain assistive technology “reader” tools used by some students with academic accommodations with the Office of Disability Services. In these cases, the instructor creates a copy of the exam that does not require lockdown browser and releases it only to those individual students. How to create an exam with exceptions for individual students.
- Support and training directly from Respondus for instructors planning to use LockDown Browser and/or Respondus Monitor to foster academic integrity during online exams. Dates: September 16, 20, 22 REGISTER
Respondus Test Management
Respondus 4.0 test management software is now located in the OIT software catalog. If instructors need the updated password, visit the Respondus campus-wide software page and click “Download Respondus”. Use. your myBama username & password to access the download files and installation instructions.
Blackboard Learn Reminders and Resources
- Join Blackboard leaders as they provide an update on the Blackboard Learn Roadmap – September 12th, 1:00 pm – Original Roadmap
- Blackboard Ultra Office Hours – Join a Blackboard product management expert for an informal session of Q&A or feature demonstrations. – September 9th, 9:00 am; September 23rd, 1:00 pm – Ultra-Office Hours
- Anthology, makers of Blackboard, Collaborate, and Ally, are hosting their 5th Digital Teaching Symposium, on November 10th, 2022. Past events have offered great resources, ideas, and presentations from peers across the globe! All Faculty, Instructors, Teaching Assistants as well as Instructional Designers, Academic Technologists, and Faculty Development staff are invited to submit proposals regarding a topic or best practice to share with others. Submissions will close Monday, September 12th at 5:00pm ET/4:00pm Central.
- Blackboard Instructor app support ended, download the Blackboard app – https://cit.ua.edu/blackboard-instructor-app-support-ending/.
- Instructors may now explore Blackboard Learn Ultra Course View. Learn more and apply to participate in the pilot: Blackboard Learn Ultra Course Pilot.
- Creating Turnitin assignments in Blackboard Learn is now under “Build Content” and no longer under “Assessments.”
- PeerMark assignments no longer automatically generate or populate Blackboard grade center columns.
- Resources about 2022 Turnitin changes.
Panopto offers 24/7 support for UA instructors and students. Contact Panopto directly at email@example.com or 855-765-2341. Answers to frequently asked questions are available on the Panopto Support website.
Learning Opportunities from OIT
- Creating an Online Portfolio with Adobe – Tuesday, 9.13.2022, 1:00 – 3:00pm Join OIT for a special in-person Adobe Portfolio session as part 2022 Adobe Celebration Week, Sept. 12-16. Adobe Portfolio is available to all UA students, faculty and staff. Portfolio enables students to build a website and showcase their work. No web design knowledge required!
- AI with MATLAB Seminar – Wednesday, 9.21.2022, 1:00 – 3:00pm – Join MathWorks to learn more about AI and machine learning capabilities in MATLAB! Where: Room 2006, North Lawn When: September 21, 2022 from 1-3pm. Please register here.
Please let us help!
We’re here to help. Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-348-3532. Join us at an upcoming webinar or schedule a consultation with us.
The Center for Instructional Technology exists to help with your instructional technology and accessibility needs. We provide training, support, workshops, and consultations for UA’s instructional technologies which include Blackboard Learn, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, Flip (formerly Flipgrid), Gradescope, Hypothesis, Panopto, People.ua.edu websites, Respondus, Turnitin, PointSolutions responseware (formerly Turning Tech TurningPoint clickers) and Zoom.
CIT and our vendor partners regularly host workshops and webinars on UA’s instructional technologies and technology accessibility. Explore offerings on the UA Events Calendar, and build an event digest email to receive notice of upcoming events (Department > Center for Instructional Technology).
Learn more about each of these technologies on our website. Want more updates from us? Subscribe to our news updates!
Most classrooms across campus are supported by OIT’s Audio Visual Solutions (AVS) team. Use the classroom help phone (Dial 2) to reach the AVS help desk for immediate help with classroom technology. You can also contact AVS at 205-348-3453 or email email@example.com.
Support for Information Technology needs
Visit oit.ua.edu for more information about IT services including email, internet, account access, and more. You can also reach us at the IT Service Desk firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-348-5555.
About the Blackboard Instructors listserv
OIT uses this list to communicate essential information about instructional technology updates and resources. All members of the UA community who are currently instructors in Banner or Blackboard Learn are subscribed to the listserv. Messages are sent at the most weekly unless a service interruption or ongoing issue merits more frequent communications.