Zoom Best Practices for Students
Prep Your Equipment
- Connect to a dependable internet network.
- Join a test Zoom meeting before your first class. Learn how to test your setup and familiarize yourself with Zoom.
- Wear headphones for an echo-free experience.
- For the best audio experience, use a USB media headset with a built-in microphone. Connect the headset and let the driver install BEFORE entering a Zoom meeting.
Establish Your Workspace
- Find a quiet space.
- Check the lighting ahead of time (reduce glare or shadows).
- Be mindful of what’s going on behind you. Use a solid wall or virtual background.
- Avoid having more than one computer or device within earshot logged into the same meeting, as it may cause a distracting echo effect for you and other participants in the session.
- Eliminate distractions.
Join Your Class
- Join the meeting early.
- If you’re on a limited WIFI connection, you may need to keep your camera off to improve quality.
- Stay muted unless you’re talking to reduce background noise.
- Avoid multi-tasking.
- Actively participate!
Share With a Friend
Want to share these tips? Download our Zoom Best Practices Tip Sheet for Students.