Pantopto allows you to create recordings of presentations using almost any computer. Panopto recordings can be stored, searched, and replayed by students.
Adding Panopto to a Course
If the “Course Videos” button does not automatically appear in your course, you can add it as a tool link via the “+” button at the top left of your menu.
- Click on the circle with the plus sign at the top left of the course menu.
- Select Tool Link from the drop down menu.
- Name the link “Course Videos.” Choose Panopto Course Tool Application from the Type dropdown menu. Check the box next to Available to Users. Click Submit.
Panopto vs. Tegrity
As with Tegrity, Panopto will be available in most rooms on campus. Instructors will have the option to install the Panopto recorder on their home and office computers. Both systems are similar in terms of capabilities and workflow. We hope that current Tegrity users will find this transition relatively painless. While the basics of these two systems are very similar, Panopto has a considerably more robust set of features. Here are a few examples of the features that Panopto offers that were previously unavailable to our Tegrity users:
- Panopto recordings can be downloaded as MP4s. MP4 files can be viewed on most devices.
- Panopto recordings can be combined. Have you ever forgotten to say something important during a recorded lecture? Now, you will be able to simply create a new recording with the missing information and combine it with your original classroom recording.
- The Panopto editor offers numerous improvements over Tegrity’s. Users should find this interface to be more intuitive and much more forgiving thanks to Panopto’s non-destructive editing method.
- Panopto allows you to embed quizzes directly into your recordings. As students watch a video they can periodically be required to answer questions before moving on.
While Panopto offers many improvements over Tegrity, Panopto does not include the built-in annotation tools that were available in Tegrity. While we do not have a replacement for this feature, we would like to encourage faculty who use their classroom touch screens for writing and drawing to consider using the annotation tools that are available in PowerPoint. If PowerPoint’s annotation tools do not meet your needs, please contact us and we will be happy to work with you to find a more appropriate solution.
Quickstart Guide for Classroom Computers
Panopto is already installed on most classroom computers.
- To start using Panopto, click on the green ribbon icon on your classroom computer:
- Log in to the Panopto recorder using your MyBama user name and password.
- Once you’ve logged in, select your course from the My Courses folder and hit Record.
- You can then minimize the Panopto recorder application and begin your lecture. Panopto will capture any content that appears on your computer screen and also your voice via your classroom’s podium or lapel microphone.
- Once you’ve completed your lecture, click on the stop button in the Panopto recorder and your recording will automatically be uploaded to your Blackboard course. Both you and your students can access your Panopto content via the new Course Videos or Panopto Videos link in your Blackboard course menu
Installing Panopto on Personal or Work Computer
For a new installation of Panopto, follow these steps.
- Enter your Blackboard course or go to alabama.hosted.panopto.com if you’re not using Blackboard.
- In Blackboard, in the course menu on the left side of your course, select Course Videos or Panopto Videos. This will open the Panopto video interface.
- Click on Create at the top, then Record Video.
- A pop-up window will give you the option to download Panopto on your device. Click the Download Panopto button.
- Run the installer to complete the download.