The Blackboard Calendar allows all users in a course to see upcoming due dates, as well as other course events the instructor adds. This is a great tool to help everyone stay on top of deadlines, and can be filtered to view individual courses or many courses at once.
The Calendar Tool
You can access the calendar from your course (under Course Tools for instructors, and Tool Panel for students), from the Tools panel on the My Institution tab, or by clicking on your name in the top right corner of Blackboard.
Add an Event
Course items with due dates appear automatically in the course calendar. To add an event to the calendar:
- Select the plus (+) button or select a specific date to create an event.
- Type the New Event Name.
- Choose a calendar to associate the event with, such as your personal calendar.
- Only instructors and administrators can add events to the course and institution calendars.
- Select the Start and End times.
- Type the Event Description. Event descriptions have a 4,000-character limit.
- Select Save.
Remove or Edit an Event
- Find the date of the event in the main calendar view.
- Select the event to edit or delete it.
- Select and drag an event to another date in the main view to change the date of the event. The time of the event and calendar it’s associated with stays the same.
- You can also select and drag an event from the main view to another date on the smaller monthly view to change the date.
Export Calendar to External Calendar
Use the External Calendar Link to add your Blackboard calendar to your regular calendar client.
Events may take up to 24 hours to appear in your external calendar. External calendars can’t be imported into the Blackboard Learn calendar.
- Navigate to the Course Calendar
- Under ICALENDAR, click Get External Calendar Link
- Copy the URL
- Add the calendar URL to your external calendar
Add to Google Calendar
- Click the down-arrow next to Other calendars
- Select Add by URL from the menu
- Enter the Blackboard Learn iCalendar URL in the field provided
- Click the Add Calendar button. The calendar will appear in the Other Calendars section of the calendar list to the left
Add to Microsoft Outlook
- In Account Settings choose the Internet Calendars tab
- Click on New and paste the iCalendar URL you copied from Blackboard Learn into the location and click Add
Add to Apple Calendar
- Click on File
- Click on New Calendar Subscription
- Paste the iCalendar URL you copied from Blackboard Learn into the field provided
- Click Subscribe
Add to iPhone Calendar
- Select Settings
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Select Add Account… under Accounts
- Select Other at the bottom
- Select Add Subscribed Calendar
- Type the iCalendar URL
- Select Next
- Email the iCalendar URL ending in .ics to the email account set up on your iPhone
- Open the email on your phone and click the URL
- iPhone recognizes the .ics extension as a calendar and prompts you to subscribe
- Choose yes